Straits Trading’s interest: 89.5%
Set up in 2013 with a capital commitment of up to S$950 million, Straits Real Estate Pte. Ltd. ("SRE") is a co-investment company that seeks out real estate related investments and opportunities globally. Straits Trading holds a 89.5% stake in SRE with the remaining 10.5% owned by the John Lim Family Office, the investment holding group of companies founded by Mr John Lim, Group Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director of ARA Asset Management Limited.
SRE plays a pivotal role in Straits Trading's Real Estate Ecosystem as a capital allocator that focuses on value creation in the real estate space. Its core competence lies in its ability in risk pricing, and correspondingly finding the most efficient use for its capital on a risk-adjusted basis. SRE is not restricted to any one geographical market or property sector nor is it constrained by the usual need for real estate companies and developers to build in-house operational expertise. Rather, it seeks to create shareholders value by allocating its capital into an array of real estate opportunities, each with different risk profiles, and offering different level of expected returns. This is usually done by partnering with local real estate companies or professionals who are experts in their markets and fields.
The SRE management team, which comprises highly experienced real estate private equity personnel, is well adapted to execute these strategies. SRE currently has over $850 million in assets under management and has a well-diversified investment portfolio across property segments spanning China, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan and Australia.
For more information, please visit www.straitsrealestate.com
Straits Trading’s interest: 21.0%
ARA Asset Management Limited is a premier global integrated real assets fund manager. As at 31 December 2018, the Gross Assets Managed by ARA Group and its Associates is approximately S$80.1 billion1 across over 100 cities in 23 countries.
Driven by a vision to be the best-in-class real assets fund management company, ARA Group and its Associates’ businesses include:
- REITs – ARA is one of the largest REIT managers in Asia Pacific. The Group directly manages Fortune REIT, dual-listed in Singapore and Hong Kong; Suntec REIT and Cache Logistics Trust, listed in Singapore; and Hui Xian REIT and Prosperity REIT, listed in Hong Kong. It also indirectly manages REITs in Japan, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia through its associate companies.
- Private real estate funds – The Group manages private funds providing investment opportunities in diverse real estate sectors and geographies that cater to different investor risk appetites.
- Country desks – ARA operates country desks in China, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Australia, Europe and the United States. The country desks employ a strong understanding of each local market to facilitate the flow of inbound and outbound capital and cross-country collaborations. ARA has an expanded presence in Japan via its strategic stake in Kenedix, Inc. and in Europe via its strategic stake in Cromwell Property Group.
- Infrastructure – ARA Infrastructure was established in 2018 to cater to strong investor demand for global infrastructure investment.
- Real estate management services – As part of the Group’s investor-operator philosophy, its dedicated property management teams actively work the ground to manage its assets globally.
ARA’s multi-platform, multi-product global fund management strategy, combined with its dedicated teams with in-depth local knowledge, enables the Group to offer enduring value to investors. Built on a foundation of strong corporate governance and business integrity, ARA counts some of the world’s largest pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions, endowments and family offices as its investors.
1 Includes assets under management by ARA Asset Management Limited and the Group of companies (“ARA Group”) and its Associates and Joint Ventures as at 31 December 2018.
For more information, please visit www.ara-group.com/
Straits Trading’s interest: 3.8%
Straits Trading holds a 3.8% interest in Suntec Real Estate Investment Trust ("Suntec REIT"), the first composite REIT in Singapore that owns income-producing real estate that is primarily used for retail and/or office purposes. In Singapore, Suntec REIT's portfolio comprises office and retail properties in Suntec City as well as interests in Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre, One Raffles Quay, Marina Bay Financial Centre Towers 1 and 2, Marina Bay Link Mall, 9 Penang Road, which are all strategically located in the growth corridors of Marina Bay and the Civic and Cultural District within Singapore's Central Business District. In Australia, Suntec REIT has interests in 177 Pacific Highway, Sydney, Southgate Complex, Melbourne and a commercial building located at Olderfleet, 477 Collins Street, Melbourne, which is currently under development.
Suntec REIT is managed by an external manager, ARA Trust Management (Suntec) Limited who is focused on delivering regular and stable distributions to Suntec REIT's unitholders, and to achieve long-term growth in the asset value of Suntec REIT, so as to provide unitholders with a competitive rate of return on their investment.
For more information, please visit www.suntecreit.com
The group has a portfolio of residential properties in Singapore:
- Gallop Green (http://gallopgreen.sg)
Gallop Green is a prime freehold development located in exclusive Gallop Road residential enclave. With only 40 apartments and 13 townhouses nestled on more than 143,000sqft of sprawling land, we offer the most landed townhouses available. Facilities include swimming pool, gym, tennis court, playground, function room, 24 hours security and private parking lot for townhouse owners.
- Good Class Bungalows
With only 2,800 prime plots of Good Class Bungalows (GCBs) across 39 gazetted areas, GCBs are the pinnacle of Singapore’s residential property market.
Today, the company continues to own a unique collection of GCBs, all freehold, nestled in Chatsworth Park precinct with different architectural style and individual discerning taste and preferences.